Loki Logo & Trailer Title Sequence: Design Notes
When I first saw the logo for Marvel’s Loki show, I found it an eyesore, just like everyone else. However, as a LEGO builder, I am often driven to figure out how to recreate shapes with bricks.
Such was the case with the K in the main Loki logo, a stylish font similar to ARB 85 Poster Script. I started fiddling with parts, starting with determining what slopes to use for the parallelogram shaped stem. The angle of the 2x1x2 slope worked well, so then I worked to determine what sorts of snot techniques I could use to flip directions. 4 1x1 brackets combined with two 1x1 technic bricks did the trick. The curved lower leg took significantly longer as I experimented with how to get the hook shape. I tried a 1x3 arch, the new 1x3 inverted arch, and countless other slopes and curves, and I’m quite proud of the shape I was able to achieve. The upper beam of the K was simpler, though I did use an old finger hinge to extend the length slightly. I’m really happy with how cleanly everything came together, with such minimal gaps.
Then I moved on to the I, which was only difficult because I couldn’t find enough trans green plates and tiles. The most difficult part of the L was determining the color scheme and pattern. I started with dark grey in addition to the dark green and sand green, but took it out as it began to look too busy. I procrastinated on the O, knowing that it would be most difficult, and I was right. I started with finding all the pearl gold pieces I could find and making a pile of them, so I knew what I had to work with. Attempting to use only gold parts, I designed a first draft of the O, but it was simply not clean enough. I gave in and decided to use light bluish grey and attempt to match it to the pearl gold in photoshop.
By this point I was just having too much fun with making letters, and I didn’t want to stop. I pulled up this video and scrubbed through it backwards, making each letter one at a time until I had 33 2D LEGO letters, each between 7 and 8 studs in total height. (The goal height was 19 plates, to match the first set of letters, but many letters got slightly bigger due to their design.) Many of them were fairly straightforward, but a few warrant further elaboration.
This L was a fun challenge. I quickly decided to build it in black instead of gold and experimented considerably with how to recreate all of it’s complex angles and curves. As with many of the letters, the new 1x3 inverted arch came in handy to capture some of the curves. This letter, like the first K and so many others, has different sections built at different angles, but minimizing the gap became the difficult part, accomplished here with a 1x1 bracket and a cheese slope.
One of my favorites, color wise, this O was a fun challenge with both it’s curves and it’s blotchy rainbow color scheme. Generally, in LEGO, convex curves are much easier, as seen on the outside. Concave curves are much harder, as you are mostly limited to full or half arches, nothing smaller. Thus, the inside of this O presented a challenge. A quarter of the circle is made up of a 1x6 arch, a small portion is a 1x3 inverted arch, but I had to approximate the rest with cheese slopes and plates. This one also had one of the most fun color schemes, built with Orange, Tan, Bright Light Orange, Yellow, Cool Yellow, Lime, Green, Sand Green, Dark Green, Dark Orange, Dark Red, Reddish Brown, Medium Nougat, Red, and Coral. While it isn’t perfect, I’m really happy with how well the colors blend with one another.
This I was simple, however, it came together quite cleanly. The only difficult part was figuring out how to hold the top together as I had run out of 1x3 tiles in tan. 1x1 brick with studs on both sides plugged into the 1x1 technic brick worked well enough instead!